The new challenge at A Day for Daisies starts today! The challenge this time is to use black. Lots of black. In keeping with Halloween coming at the end of the month. All the kids I know can't wait until Halloween gets here. They love all the candy they get. Well, there is a little piece of "candy" for you over at ADFD website. Tammy is offereing a very cute little witch for this challenge. Its so cute - and along with the rest of the prize package, this challenge will be so much fun.
I don't normally work with a lot of black except at this time of year. Don't get me wrong. I love black. The majority of my wardrobe is black (it very slimming you know). It can make a project look very elegant. Thats the reason I love doing these challenges. It pushes me outside of my creative comfort zone. Here is a picture of the project I made for this current challenge:
stamps: Wildflowers digital stamp - ADFD
card stock: SU! Black, Wausau Exact Index 110#
Tools/other products: Pencil crayons, oms, Stampendous black sparkle embossing powder, black copic marker, stickles (black, silver, white), CraftRobo
For this chest of drawers, I first cut the bracket shape thats the bottom and top on my CraftRobo. I made them two layers thick and I also cut one extra for the top to prop up the image. I made 3 tubes, just slightly bigger than 3" x 3" x 1" and stacked them - these were the sliders for my drawers. I them made 3 box bottoms 3" x 3" x 1". I cut a swirl pattern on my CraftRobo, used xyron adhesive on the back and covered the front with Versamark ink and embossed the swirl with sparkle black embossing powder. The big black rhinestones on the drawers didn't start out as black rhinestones. I didn't have any black ones that were big enough for the project, so I used clear rhinestones and coloured them with a black copic marker. Once the ink was dry, I glued them to the front of the drawer on top of the swirls. For the top, I scored the bracket shape in half and then at the quarter mark. I folded it and then adhered it to the top only putting glue on half, so that the folded flap was free. I then attached the coloured image with pop dots to the part of the folded bracket shape that was upright so that the image would stand up and then tacked down the little point with some glue so the image would stay upright. I then glued paper flowers with brad centres to the top for a little more embellishment.
I think I'm going to fill the drawers up with little embellishments, like buttons, rhinestones, & brads and send this along as a little gift for my niece. I know she'll love it and it will help out build up her craft stash too.
So check out the challenge at ADFD. Don't be shy - its all fun and good people. The link to the challenge is in my sidebar, but just in case here it is for you again: ADFD Challenge #4 - Black Out
Talk to you later...